Feb 1, CNN

LONDON, England -- David Beckham is determined to win his place back in the England team after being left out of Fabio Capello's first squad for the friendly against Switzerland next week.

Speaking in Brazil just ahead of Thursday's squad announcement, Beckham said: "I will carry on working hard and trying to get back in.

"I won't get bitter and twisted because I am old enough and I have got enough respect for the manager to realize that if it does not happen, life goes on.

"I have been lucky enough in my career to come back from tough times and disappointments.

"If it doesn't happen (winning a 100th cap), I will come back from it again, in my way. If it does, then great."

Read more this news quote

photo: David Beckham will have to wait to earn his 100th England cap after being omitted by coach Fabio Capello (Getty Images)