By Asher Moses

September 1, The Sydney Morning Herald

The creator of US TV drama The West Wing, Aaron Sorkin, is making a film about the controversial origins of Facebook.

The social networking site, which now counts more than 100 million users, has already distanced itself from the yet-to-be-named movie, saying it has not agreed to cooperate with any film project.

Harvard alumni magazine 02138 reported the film would be an adaptation of Ben Mezrich's upcoming book, Face Off, which includes allegations that founder Mark Zuckerberg stole the idea for the site from classmates and started it in 2004 as a way to meet women.

Through an assistant, Sorkin recently started a group on Facebook with the hope of learning more about the site and gathering interesting stories from users.

"I've just agreed to write a movie for Sony and producer Scott Rudin about how Facebook was invented," he wrote.

"I figured a good first step in my preparation would be finding out what Facebook is, so I've started this page. (Actually it was started by my researcher, Ian Reichbach, because my grandmother has more Internet savvy than I do and she's been dead for 33 years.)"

Read more this news quote

photo: Aaron Sorkin (by SMH)